UM Special Education
Frequently Asked Questions

What if I think that my child might have a disability? What is the procedure for evaluation?
If you think your child has a disability you should send a letter to the Special Education Director at the school district asking to have an evaluation for your child. The district will send you a “ Permission to Evaluate” form. When you have returned the signed form you will receive a copy of a “ Procedural Safeguards Notice” that will explain your rights. The school will evaluate your child within 60 days from receiving the signed the “Permission to Evaluate” form.

What happens with the results of the evaluation?

The team will include the testing results in an evaluation report. Based on the results of the testing, the team will make a decision as to whether or not your child is eligible for special education. The report will also include recommendation to the IEP team the special education instruction and services they your child will need.

The evaluation report will be given to the parent 10 days prior to the scheduled IEP meeting. Parents may agree to wait until the IEP meeting to review the report.

What is a Re-Evaluation?

The purpose of a re-evaluation is to determine if a child is making reasonable progress toward his goals. Based on the evaluation, the team will decided if a changes are needed in the child’s program or if the child is still in need of special education. All special education students should be re-evaluated every three years unless the parent and the school agrees to waive the re-evaluation. The school or parents may request a re-evaluation during that three year period.

What is an IEP?

An IEP is an “Individualized Education Plan” that describes a student’s strengths and needs and outlines the services that will be given to that child. It lists the special education and related services that the student will need to be successful in school. The IEP is written by a team of people including the parents, the child, a special education teacher, a regular education teacher and a school district representative.

How often are IEP meeting held?

The IEP team must meet every year to review and update the IEP. During the meeting, the team will discuss the results of current testing, the student’s progress on his annual goals and any concerns of the teacher, student or parent. The IEP can be amended with the permission of the parent at any time during the year. Parents also have the right to request a meeting at any time to discuss problems or concerns.

What does it mean that my child must be educated in the “Least Restrictive Environment”?

Students with disabilities have the right to be educated with their age group peers in a regular education environment to the greatest extent possible with the support of aids and services. The IEP makes the determination of the amount of time that at student can making reasonable progress on his IEP goals will being educated in a regular education classroom.

What is a NOREP?

After the IEP has been finalized, the parents will be given a copy of the IEP and a “Notice of Recommended Educational Placement” form . The purpose of the NOREP is for the parents to indicate whether they approve of the IEP. If a parent approves the NOREP, the new IEP can be implemented. If parents disapproves of the NOREP, they should check the “I do not approve” box on the form. The school and parents will meet again to resolve the disputed areas of the IEP.

What are Transition Services?

The Transition Services section of the IEP outlines the student’s post-secondary goals and the services that the school will provide to help the student achieve those goals. The section must be addressed for all student who will turn 14 during the duration of the IEP and all other special education students above the age of 14.


What is a 504 plan?

A 504 plan refers to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. This act ensures that children with disabilities can not be excluded from participating in programs or activities in federally funded programs or schools. These disabilities can include physical impairments, illnesses or injuries; chronic conditions such as asthma, allergies, and diabetes, and learning problems. A 504 plan outlines the modifications and accommodations that students will need to be successful in the school environment.

kids playing

Last Modified on October 8, 2009